Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Crock Pot Beef Short Ribs

So I tried my first recipe from my new Slow Cooker cookbook, and it turned out pretty good! Unfortunately, I forgot to take a picture for you!! It was very easy and even the kids liked it. I love braised short ribs, so I was eager to try making them in the crock pot to see how they came out. The meat was tender & the sauce had deep, dark color (from my favorite beer - Guinness!) and a hint of sweetness from the molasses. It needed salt, so if you try it for yourself, up the salt measurement! Also, try to find short ribs on sale. The recipe calls for 5 pounds of short ribs and they were $4.99 per pound the day I was shopping! You could get a few pounds of short ribs and add some big hunks of whatever kind of beef is on sale & it would still be good. Here's the recipe:

Beer-braised Beef Short Ribs

5 lbs beef short ribs
14 oz can beef broth
12 oz can dark beer
1 medium onion, cut into thin wedges
1/4 cup molasses
2 Tablespoons balsamic vinegar
1 tsp dried thyme
1 tsp tabasco
1/2 tsp salt

Add everything except short ribs to crock pot & stir together. Then add in short ribs. Cover & cook on low-heat setting for 11 - 12 hours or on high-heat setting fr 5 1/2 to 6 hours. Skim fat off sauce & serve meat & sauce with mashed potatoes. (I didn't skim - too lazy) Enjoy! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment