Friday, October 29, 2010

Crock Pot Coq Au Vin


I don't know if this picture turned out as well I hoped, but the recipe did turn out pretty good. Now keep in mind, this is NOT like Julia Child's Coq Au Vin! No big labor of love recipe like that! (By the way, I really do want to try to make her version this winter, just need to set aside a day for it). I used frozen skinless chicken thighs from Costco (didn't brown them) & a Lipton Onion Soup mix - need I say more about being easy? I thought it tasted good & my husband did to, so here's the recipe:

Crock Pot Coq Au Vin
Nonstick cooking spray
3 lbs chicken thighs, skinned
1 envelope beefy onion soup mix
2 cups quartered mushrooms
1 1/2 cups frozen small whole onions
3 medium carrots cut into 3 1/2" sticks
1/2 cup dry red wine (isn't Burgundy what the French use?)
Hot cooked mashed potatoes (optional)

1) Lightly coat an large skillet with cooking spray. Heat the skillet over medium heat & cook the chicken thighs until brown. Drain fat.

2) Place chicken thighs in a 3 1/2 or 4 quart slow cooker. Sprinkle with dry soup mix. Add mushrooms, onions and carrots. Pour wine over mixture in cooker.

3)Cover & cook on low heat setting for 5 to 6 hours; or on high heat setting for 2 1/2 to 3 hours. Serve with mashed potatoes if desired.

No comments:

Post a Comment